Most students begin with one of the following books.
- Enjoy Playing Guitar Tutor Book 1. Debbie Cracknell. Oxford University Press.
- New Dimensions in Classical Guitar for Children. Sonia Michelson. Mel Bay.
- Suzuki Guitar School, Vol 1: Guitar Part & CD. Seth Himmelhoch, et al. Alfred Music.
The specific book will be determined at the first lesson. There are others that will be required from time to time.
See also: Solo Recital Options for lists of solo pieces for your recital.
Below are other books that may be needed from time to time depending on the student and path. This list is here for advancing students to reference. Always choose the option that includes a CD or digital audio so that you or your child can listen at home.
- ABRSM, Time Pieces for Guitar (Vol. 1-2)
- Alfred’s Basic Guitar Chord Chart: A Chart of All the Basic Chords in Every Key. Alfred Music
- Cracknell, Debbie. Enjoy Playing Guitar Tutor Book 1
- Cracknell, Debbie. Enjoy Playing Guitar Tutor Book 2
- Cracknell, Debbie. Enjoy Playing Guitar: Going Solo
- Feldstein, Sandy. Practical Theory (Complete): A Self-Instruction Music Theory Course. Alfred Music
- Jennings, J. The Guitarist’s Link to Sight Reading
- Michelson, Sonia. Easy Classic Guitar Solos for Children
- Michelson, Sonia. New Dimensions in Classical Guitar for Children
- Michelson, Sonia. (Ed.). Young Beginner’s First Repertoire for Classic Guitar
- RCM. Classical Guitar Repertoire and Etudes (Levels: Preparatory through 8, 2018 Edition)
- RCM. Classical Guitar Technique (2018 Edition)
- Reid, Harvey and Terry Lee Kuhn. Modern Folk Guitar. If you can’t find a reasonably-priced copy to buy, Dr. Berlin has copies to lend.
- Shearer, Aaron. Guitar Note Speller
- Schirmer Pronouncing Pocket Manual of Musical Terms. Theodore Baker, ed., Schirmer Trade Books.
- Suzuki, Shinichi. Nurtured by Love
- Suzuki Guitar School Guitar Part & CD (Volumes 1-8)
- Yaus, G. 101 Rhythmic Rest Patterns In Unison for Band (Guitar students, use the Bb Trumpet-Baritone T.C. edition)
- Fake Book of the World’s Favorite Songs – Over 735 Songs for Piano, Vocal, Guitar, Electronic Keyboards and all “C” Instruments (4th Edition). Hal Leonard Corp.
- The Ultimate Jazz Fakebook: Over 625 Standards and Jazz Classics, “C” Edition, For Piano, Vocal, Guitar, and all “C” Instruments. Hal Leonard Corp, 1988, Herb Wong (compiler).
- The Best Fake Book Ever: Over 1000 Songs: “C” Instruments (4th edition). Hal Leonard Corporation.
- This is the Ultimate Fake Book With Over 1200 Songs: Melody, Lyrics, Chords for all “C” Instruments (Fourth Edition). Hal Leonard Corporation.
- Dix Bruce. Parking Lot Picker’s Songbook (Fiddle, Bass, or Guitar Edition). Mel Bay, 2009.
- Bert Casey. Bluegrass Fakebook: 150 All Time-Favorites Includes 50 Gospel Tunes.
What is a fake book? When a musician is asked to play a song they’ve never heard before, they “fake” it. One of the most valuable possessions any musician can have is a fake book which contains the melodies, lyrics, and chords for hundreds of songs. With the access to the melody, lyrics, and chords, the musician can improvise their own arrangement of a song. (Excerpted from Fake Book of the World’s Favorite Songs).
Guitar Ensemble Books
- ABRSM, Music Medals Guitar Ensemble Pieces (5 Levels: Copper, Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum).
- Cracknell, Debbie. Enjoy Playing Guitar: Time for Two
- Cracknell, Debbie. Enjoy Playing Guitar: Christmas Crackers
- Cracknell, Debbie. Enjoy Playing Guitar: Ensemble Games
- Essential Elements. J.S. Bach for 3+ Guitarists
- Essential Elements. The Beatles for 3+ Guitarists (Early Int)
- Essential Elements. The Beatles for 3+ Guitarists (Mid-Int)
- Essential Elements. Bossa Nova for 3+ Guitarists
- Essential Elements. Classical Themes for 3+ Guitarists
- Essential Elements. Duke Ellington for 3+ Guitarists
- Essential Elements. Jazz Ballads for 3+ Guitarists
- Essential Elements. Pop Hits for 3+ Guitarists